- Pregnancy causes changes in the skin. So, cosmetics choice for pregnant women becomes a very important thing. As, some ingredients or chemicals can affect the baby. What are toxic chemicals to avoid when pregnant? Let’s see.
Chemicals in cosmetic to avoid when pregnant
- Cosmetics for pregnant women must not contain Vitamin A
Retinoids like Retinyl Palmitate, Retinol, Retinaldehyde, Adapalene, Tretinoin, Isotretinoin, and Tazarotene are usually found in acne and anti-aging medicines. They can cause abnormalities in babies, including a risk of miscarriage and congenital disability. So, pregnant women should avoid products containing retinoids.
- Pregnant women should avoid Salicylic Acid (BHA)
This substance can irritate the skin and can be absorbed into bloodstream. If it’s necessary, you can use a product with a BHA concentration of less than 2%. However, it is best to avoid it.
- Avoid Benzoyl Peroxide (BP)
Benzoyl Peroxide is used before face wash to treat acne. It is a strong substance that can cause irritation, light sensitivity, burn, and fissure to the skin. During pregnancy, women’s skin is more sensitive than usual. So, they should avoid the substance for their safety.
- No Parabens
Parabens are preservatives that mothers should be careful of and stop using the most as they can be found in common products like baby bath products, skin creams, shampoo, and conditioner. They can cause a risk of miscarriage, congenital disabilities, and even abnormal development in babies.
Perfume is one of the cosmetics to avoid for pregnant women as chemicals in perfume affect babies’ brain development. If you use perfume during pregnancy, the baby will risk chemical exposure. Moreover, some chemicals are toxic as they can affect pulse and blood flow around the brain causing migraine. It is best for a mother to avoid perfume and products containing perfumes.
Pregnant and breastfeeding women should stop using cosmetics containing Aluminum, Chloride, and Hexahydrate as they can absorb to the skin, placenta, and breast milk. If the baby receives it, there’re can be side effects. So, it is best to avoid these substances.
- Sunscreen, pregnant women must choose carefully
Pregnant women need cosmetics especially made for pregnant women. For example, sunscreen. During pregnancy, the skin will be more sensitive than usual. It can easily cause blemishes, freckles, and wrinkles. The techniques to carefully choose a sunscreen are:
- Avoid ingredients from Chemical Sunscreen, especially Oxybenzone, Octyl methoxycinnamate, Avobenzone, and Homosalate as they cause risk to the baby.
- A sunscreen must not contain Parabens, Phenoxyethanol, Phthalates, PEGs, Mineral oil, TEA, Sulfates, Clindamycin, Hydroquinone, and AHA
- Choose Physical Sunscreen or Mineral Sunscreen
- There are many cosmetic ingredients for pregnant women to avoid for mothers and their baby’s safety. They need to pay attention to these products, especially stretch marks products.
We recommend organic products from My Dear Mom. They can ensure the safety of you and your baby as they have been tested and certified that it is free from prohibited substances. Pregnant women can use it without worries.
organic products | shampoo| conditioner | sunscreen SPF50 PA+++ | breast cream | stretch mark cream | lip balm | my dear mom | chemicals to pregnant | chemicals to pregnant | chemicals to pregnant